Cheeky Quotes

Wednesday, 27 February 2013

Home Safety Lessons What Electricians Won't Tell You

A small mistake can cost you the whole house or the lives of your loved ones. This refers to the mistakes that you can make while installing or maintaining electrical appliances or electrical parts in the house. A little bit of caution can go a long way? You do not need electricians to tell you how to stay safe. I think it is easy to practice electrical safety. Electricity takes the shortest route to the ground through the wires, wet objects and metals. It is invisible, but too real to ignore. There are wires running around and through our homes, and this is where hundreds are electrocuted each year.
A lot of people get injured due to electricity related instances. We can all practice some indoor safety tips by following a little common sense and foresight. I always use equipment and appliances which are approved by reputed testing laboratories, and keep hair dryers, radios and other electrical equipment outside the bathroom. Hair dryers should not be used near sinks and tubs. My kids know that water does not go hand in hand with electricity. Unplug the appliances before having them cleaned, and when they are not used. Small appliances should be pushed to the back of counters.

Remember to use all the prongs of electric plugs and have the frayed or worn out cords replaced. If it does not fit in, remember not to force the plug into the outlet. Cords should never be tacked to floors and walls. When my kids were small, I kept the wires away from the reach of my children. I do not overload my electrical outlets. If the TV picture flickers or shrinks when major appliances are plugged in, or if circuit breakers or fuses blow frequently, remember to check the wiring and circuits. Do not carry or unplug anything by its cord, or run cords under furniture or carpets. It can overheat the cords or wear them out.

Each power line should be treated as though it were dangerous and live wire. Treat hot water geysers at home with caution. Most adults will suffer from a third degree burn if they are exposed to 150 degrees for a couple of seconds. These can occur within 6 seconds at 140 degrees and within 30 seconds at 130 degrees. It has been found that most of burn accidents that involve kids and infants can be prevented by reducing the settings of your water heater. Additionally, you can place the switch of your geyser at a height that cannot be accessed by kids.

Kitchen equipment like microwaves, kettles and toasters run the risk of contracting electrical faults. My kitchen is a place for fast track work (since I need to serve my kids immediately as they demand their platter!), and this brings in the risk of water acting as a major threat. The appliances run the risk of being short-circuited which can injure kids. I would suggest replacing bare wires and malfunctioning equipment immediately after noticing a glitch.

Electrical safety is important at home to prevent fire, short circuits and accidents. This is why you should make sure that all your electrical appliances and sockets are secure.

No comments:

Post a Comment